...who is Krantz

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
kleinschmidt

...who is Krantz

Post by kleinschmidt »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New member: Hi, my name is Jonas, but I wish my name was Lawrence Breavman. I wish I knew a girl named Shell with long filigree earrings and black hair that shone blue! But don't we all.
I'm a new member and I'm looking forward to discussin Cohen's works with everybody hear at the Forum.
I guess I need a question...So here it is: I've read The Favorite game a lot of times and everytime I wonder: exactly how autobiographical is the novel? Does anyone know?
Well that's it.
see you
linmag

Post by linmag »

When LC was asked that question, he said something to the effect that he and Breveman shared some experiences in common, but they reacted to them differently, and so grew into different men. Make from that what you will :)
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
UbiquiDP

Post by UbiquiDP »

I'm rereading that book right now. It's a great place to get lost in.

Have you read the biography Various Positions?? It's been awhile since I read it but I seem to remember it has a lot in there about real life incidents that happen in The Favourite Game. Like the famous hypnotised maid :D
msadurski

Re: ...who is Krantz

Post by msadurski »

Answering the question from the subject...
According to the common knowledge Krantz is Cohen's friend, Mort Rosengarten.
But in the blurb on the back cover of the Polish edition of 'The favourite Game' ('Ulubiona gra', Anagram 1994) its translator, Maciej Zembaty suggests Krantz was McGee. I do not know anything about MacGee except he was the Canadian Ambassador in Poland in the 80.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”