The poetry of "Ten New Songs"

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Tchocolatl

Re: The poetry of "Ten New Songs"

Postby Tchocolatl » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:49 pm

The place is empty, the lights are out. Here I am, standing alone.

Call it despair. I mean the song. Call it closet optimist, who sings hope in the most desperate situation. I still mean the song.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Postby Tchocolatl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Still "crowded" and cold here.

Sweep some dust off a seat, sit comfortably in the dim light of the empty and the silence.

Look at this. And listen to The Land of Plenty after, if you are in danger to seek in despair forever.

http://www.nextfloor-film.com/
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Dagmaman

Postby Dagmaman » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:43 am

I think that each paragraph describe a different person In the first paragraph he speak about a king.
In the second paragraph he speak about a homeless man. In the third paragraph he speak about a alcoholic
In the fourth paragraph he speak about sick man
And in all other paragraphs he explain how dead of each one individually affecting people that they know
I think that Narator voice supposed to be at God's voice,
which is confirmed in the last paragraph
Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:08 pm

A very interesting convergence of ideas, Dagmaman. Thanks for dropping by with your insight on Land of Plenty.
Tchocolatl wrote:Call it closet optimist, who sings hope in the most desperate situation. I still mean the song.
I imagine God is indeed a closet optimist.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”