Hotel information Hydra

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
windthenk

Hotel information Hydra

Post by windthenk »

any favourite hotels / B&B's over there?
no idea about walking distances to restaurants and venues.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

All restaurants and hotels are within let's say 500 m from the harbour, so you may take any of the hotels featured on http://www.hydradirect.com and other tourism sites. -- There are no venues - the only night club was closed down two years ago, the same with the only cinema. But you will find so many excellent restaurants!
Other members who have used the hotels please share your experiences!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Windthenk ~

I can give you at least a little bit of info. My first year, I stayed in a room that accommodated 3 people [me, Paula, and Megan] at Pension Anna. It's not far at all from the harbour and price was very reasonable... even moreso, by adding one person and then splitting it 3 ways. Anna doesn't really speak English, but she's very pleasant, nonetheless. I gave her a pair of kitchen tea towels [brought with me from Florida] as a small, hostess gift whilst there, and she presented me with a fresh flower as a thank you.

Each morning, Anna would bring us coffee and some pastry/bread and juice. I believe this option was $5 euros more per morning. It wasn't a lot to eat, but it was enough. I understand that there was more of a 'spread' at some other B&Bs, but then the cost to stay at those was more, too. So, "you pays your money and you takes your choice" [a saying we have here].

The rooms [I believe there are 4 total... the others accommodate 2 people each and I'm not sure if they're large enough to add a 3rd person] are all on the second floor, so there are 'outside' steps [within a private courtyard that's part of the dwelling] to get to them. There is a covered balcony area with three, round tables, for eating at, so you can be in the fresh, morning air for your coffee and 'breakfast .' It's a pleasant and economical way to start your day.

Margaret and John stayed in one of the other rooms and they may be able to clarify how many it will accommodate. Likewise, Andrea and Marco stayed in a third and they may be able to clarify, too. Another, very pleasant couple [unknown to us] was there for a wedding on Hydra and they were in the 4th.

The only drawback to our room that I can honestly speak to is that the shower had no curtain. It's a corner shower, in a partial circle, and could accommodate and partial-circle rod and curtain, but there wasn't any. So, every shower taken included mopping the small floor or leaving dangerous accummulations of water for yourself or someone else. A mop and bucket were already provided within the bathroom :wink: . Not that doing this is a problem, but when you're trying to rush to get out to your destination, it's a step you can wish could be avoided, but fairly can't. I think our room may have been the only one with this arrangement, though.

We had two windows in our room that were large and shuttered and allowed us to look to the beautiful hillsides and rooftops :wink: [one directly below ~ see other threads for relevance on this :) ]. The crows called to us each morning, but with the avian flu scare, I remember this element as being an absence.

I hope this helps you somewhat. You will find Hydra very pleasant in any case.

I hope you decide to attend. I hope I do, too... it's my plan, but car issues, et al, continue to compromise my funds... PLUS the HUGE factor for me is having to request my time off ahead of time and having ZERO clue as to my priority in ANY given year, which would be to go see Leonard and Anjani perform. So, this would need to be dovetailed with Hydra, if a tour occurs this year. The problem is scheduling a flight, as soon as I have the money, but not being able to change it, if new information with conflicting dates later emerges... and reserving space on Hydra, with the same dilemma. So :? :shock: ~ what to do, what to do!?!

~ Lizzy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The island is not yet crowded in early June, so one may come to the island without room reservation and make the choice on the spot. This has worked well for many of our friends.

I don't think there will be any tour in Spring/Summer. After all, there is no release date for the album yet. However, I will discuss this with people who should know in Barcelona, this weekend!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for your 'tour' clarification, Jarkko. ANY information will be helpful. I may wait until June myself, in order to find a place there.

My other info for Windthenk relates to where I stayed this past summer. It's NOT so close to the harbour, but was very pleasant and the woman is exceedingly so... I'm not sure if she's 'open to the public' or just via word of mouth through/to friends... the way I found her. Since a stride longer than 6 inches was problematical for me when I was on Hydra this summer, the distance from the harbour and all of the many steps was, too. Patience with myself [and inadvertently transferred to others, as a result of the pain, et al] was in short supply. Any injuries this year would have to preclude my staying at her place... so, perhaps, I'd do best to wait and see what my injury status is upon arrival :) .

I'm guessing, from what you're saying, that you'll update us after Barcelona. It will be very helpful for making travel plans. Thanks.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

jarkko wrote:The island is not yet crowded in early June, so one may come to the island without room reservation and make the choice on the spot. This has worked well for many of our friends.
I will decide in last moment, so I will simply jump on the train for Athens from Zagreb, find the ferry, and room when I arrive.

Anyhow, somewhere in April-May, if there's need (and cheaper) for double/triple room or whatever, anybody, call me to join in.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

jarkko wrote:the only night club was closed down two years ago, the same with the only cinema.
Presumably Jarkko was referring to Disco Heaven, which was in theory at least (as the name implies) a disco rather than a nightclub. But the young on Hydra just don't seem to be interested in dancing... Still, there's always the Pirate.

The cinema closed for a season, but, following pressure from the municipality, did re-open. It was certainly functioning last August, though with such small audiences I worry how long it can last.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

The way to Heaven in 2002

Wijbe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've always suspected it might be on the horizontal plane :wink: .

Hope to see you and Willy there this year, Wijbe... the "hope" part applies to me, though, not you two :lol: .

Love,
Lizzy
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Lizzy, there is more on a horizontal plane then you expect some times.

I'm sure we see you on Hydra.
Wijbe
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

If you haven't decided yet about your accommodation, take a look at:
http://www.hydrarooms.com/index_en.htm

Sophia
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Wybe ~

I only just this minute saw your posting for the first time :shock: .

Yes, approximately 3 months later and 3 weeks prior, we'll see you and Willy on Hydra :D .

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Goldin

Re: Hotel information Hydra

Post by Goldin »

Let's lift this thread up! Sharing your own, experienced "hotel information" could be very important, especially for newcomers.
So please, share it ;-)
Suemerlyn

Re: Hotel information Hydra

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hi, not sure where to post this, so I'm trying on this 'old thread' that Goldin has tried to update.

Am arriving on 10 June (2015!) for a week, and so far have not been able to find accommodation. I'm looking for a room with shower for just me with mini cooking facilities, preferably near the port (like, two rings and a kettle!) Guess I could be in Kamini, though not too high.

Have tried emailing a few places on the accom list, with no success yet. Wanted to email Erofili, as they advertise kitchen facilities but there is no email address listed for them. Am open to other ideas if anyone has any!

Otherwise, I guess I will just arrive and have a look round.

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”