Hydra 2015: thank you, Friends!

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jongrep

Re: Hydra 2015: thank you, Friends!

Post by jongrep »

Hydra pays tribute to Leonard Cohen in Hydra News: http://www.hydranews.gr/12243/i-idra-ti ... ard-cohen/

Google translation: The Saturday, June 13, the City of Hydra honored with a grand event in the presence of hundreds of spectators the great artist Leonard Cohen.

The event -with this opened the curtain of the celebrations Miaouleia 2015- took place in the port of Hydra was a reference to the collective work of Leonard Cohen, the music and poetic and included music, readings and screenings with the participation of many artists from around the world .

They read poems at least in different languages, heard songs, others in authentic performances and others in remixes and featured excerpts from the interviews.

The event was attended by the Ambassador of Canada Mr. Robert Peck, who was awarded an honorary plaque from the Mayor Hydra Mr. George Koukoudaki. The Hydra Mayor in a speech shortly before the event on the life and work of Leonard Cohen.

The event was also attended by the President of the City Council Mr. Hydra. A. Kalyvas Hydra Deputy Mayor and Chairman of the Municipal Port Authority Mr. I. Belegris, President of the Public Benefit Corporation Melina Mercouri Mr. E. Karamitsos, Councillors, the President of Cinema Club Mr. Lakis Christidis, the t. Hydra Mayor. K. Anastopoulos, International Friends Club of Leonard Cohen as hundreds of spectators who watched with interest the audiovisual show.

The event was organized by the Municipality of Hydra in cooperation with the Canadian Embassy and the International Friends Club of Leonard Cohen and presented Mrs. Matina Dushku and Mrs. Corinna Seeds, also important was the contribution of the director and Aldermen and responsible culture of the Municipality Hydra Mr. Panagiotis Rappas the entire organization.

With this event began this year Miaouleia that will end on June 28.

On Saturday afternoon, the President of Cinema Club Mr. Lakis Christidis and international clubs Friends of Leonard Cohen placed the cornerstone in the 'Bench of Leonard Cohen »to be constructed on the coastal road central settlement - Kaminia.

Since 1960 ... Leonard Cohen bought a house in Hydra early in 1960 ... In 1963 he settles in Hydra, where he continues to write. During the eight years that remained in Hydra, he wrote two books of poetry -the famous «Flowers for Hitler» was one of afta- and two novels, the «Favorite Game» and «Beautiful Losers». In the novel «Beautiful Losers» («Wonderful losers," 1966), we know the worldwide success as a writer ... Famous songs and poems such as «Bird on the Wire» and «I'm Your Man», started in Hydra ... Hydra for Leonard Cohen was the source of his inspiration, mythical Ithaca of Ulysses ...
jongrep

Post by jongrep »

Hydra pays tribute to Leonard Cohen, coverage on the website of the Municipality of Hydra: http://hydraspoliteia.blogspot.no/2015/ ... cohen.html
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

IMG_0141.JPG
Some of our participants have asked about the memento I received from the Mayor at the end of the Saturday Event.
Here it is - it's a souvenir of this year's Miaoulis Festival (the Leonard Cohen Event was a part of it).
Eija and I will post the first photo gallery soon (photos of this event are coming first).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's beautiful, Jarkko! Calling it a memento hardly does it justice!
Now I wish I'd asked to see it in person. You certainly deserve it and we were so happy to see you publicly acknowledged as you were onstage 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
margaret

Post by margaret »

Thank you to all my old friends who sent John and I a postcard from Hydra. Miraculously it arrived this morning, a very speedy delivery!

Sorry we couldn't be with you this year but we have fond memories of our 3 previous visits.

Hope to see some of you later in the year for the walking weekend in Spain.

Love and thanks,
Margaret
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

2015 Hydra Leonard Cohen Tribute: Index Of Videos, Photos, & Posts
by Allan Showalter aka DrHGuy
http://cohencentric.com/2015-hydra-leon ... tos-posts/
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Belatedly, I too had a brilliant time on Hydra this year (not that other events there have not also been excellent!), so many thanks to you, Jarkko and Eija, for all the organisation that it took. Thank you for the enjoyable Friday trip (I have never seen the deep turquoise Corinth Canal before), or any of the other places we visited; for the Saturday night concert, in which I was honoured to take part (and have the poster), my nervous blip notwithstanding; for the dvd of our dear Leonard, AND for endless nights of beer and guitar and chat at Roloi. Such fun!

I am delighted with myself too that I finally managed to haul myself up that mountain to the monastery. Have avoided trying every time in the past. Thank you Mark, and Scott and Helen for your encouragement!

Hope to see some of you in Barcelona.

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”