Hydra update: no bench in June??

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
MarieM

Re: Hydra update: no bench in June??

Post by MarieM »

I'm not sure you could even have a bench in Montreal. I recently learned that in Canada, they will not name public property after a living person. So, if this were viewed as the Leonard Cohen Bench, it would not be possible. Further, for Leonard and his family, part of the charm of Montreal and Hydra is being able to blend into the community seamlessly. If you start putting benches, plaques, etc. on or around Leonard's homes, that would set them apart from the community.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're absolutely right, Marie [my earlier comments notwithstanding... ;-) ] as Jarkko, you, and others have said now and in the past... Leonard loves his [relative] anonymity and privacy. We have no right to gouge into that... or to even try. And Canada's rule makes it a moot idea, as well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Greg Ross

Re: Nevermind no bench ... what about ...???

Post by Greg Ross »

i just thought I would mention that the Le Mans 24 Hours is on during our 'Bench Free' weekend. I mentioned this personal sacrifice to Ann and she replied "And so?"
Please, no tears, I am shocked that she doesn't understand what I'm forgoing for Leonard!
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
Greg Ross

Re: Marie ... Hydra?

Post by Greg Ross »

Marie and George ... are you two coming to Hydra?
:?:
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Yep, I agree with most posts, EXCEPT relocating the bench to Montreal. It has to be Hydra I think, because of Leonard's long ago but long association to the island.
Anybody know the last time Leonard himself visited Hydra, incidentally?
Rats to powerful individuals on the Rock who think they can object to this most innocent and meaningful of Hydra projects and stall it all. Wonder who it is??

We'll all come anyways and celebrate Leonard's milestone birthday with the local people, and no doubt many a jolly singalong.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Oh, come on... "Rats to" "egoistic people"...
Let's not forget we're just the guests of Hydra, and other people call this island their home.

Surelly, I know almost nothing. Jarkko has told about someone's "property". Is this guy a local or a rentier?
Anyway, I must say, I can understand him.
That doesn't mean I would act this way in place of him, while not being a Cohenite, - but generally because of my sentimental nature.
People are different, their stories can be very complicated. If we're united by some altruist idea, that doesn't automatically make anyone who opposed us, egoistic people.
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

Goldin,
in my opinion, denying people the opportunity to seat on a bench to enjoy the view over the sea and the landscape because it might diminish your comfort (when you're at home) is an egoistic attitude; it was only a bench we wanted to have built there, not a noisy merry go-round for eg.
Last edited by LC&LC on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
harald

Post by harald »

Well, as I see it on the base of the information given here, the bench on this location is no way discarded yet.

The home owner informed the municipality that he would start legal proceedings against the project. Which probably is his good right. But starting a process does not mean that success is guaranteed, need not mean that the owner´s arguments are valid and he would win his cause.
The municipality as the responsible builder of the bench at first stopped the works.

Now it´s for the municipality to decide.
They might abolish the project at this location, be it to avoid legal risks or be it to prevent unpleasent disputes on the island or even be it for the possible might of this home owner.
They might go on with building the bench, expecting to be sued, but to win at court. Of course at court one never knows the outcome, in the worst case the finished bench would have to be removed (and our funds gone).
Or the legal proceedings could be fought out before going on with the works. Could take a lot of time.
Eventually the home owner could be talked to and perhaps convinced of the harmless nature of our bench.

Anyway, it´s on the island of Hydra. People and the municipality of Hydra will decide how to proceed in their own right.
We are just guests as Goldin points out rightfully.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Just letting you all know that we don't have a report to share yet,
because we haven't got up-to-date information from our contacts on Hydra.
Most likely we have to wait until our project team is on the spot for the meetup;
then we are able to meet the key persons, face-to-face, and discuss the plans.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, that makes sense; and until then, it's all speculation; and we have better things to do with our time... like pack ;)
~ Oscar Wilde
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I'm sure many if not all who go to Hydra will at least take a look at the proposed site - and will see whether or not there is a house that is so close that a peaceful bench might be reasonably construed as a major threat to the homeowner. Would be interested to hear the opinions of those that go.
Without that information i'm-perhaps unfairly- drawn to view the anonymous householder as utterly selfish and a bit of a bully ...certainly what we call in the uk a NIMBY .Perhaps though s/he is a reasonable person who can be persuaded?
Since from all that i've read the municipality has been enthusiastic about the project i guess that the project would only ultimately be stopped if the complainant had a compelling legal case, and i know nothing about the local laws .

I just hope that our funds don't get redirected to heavy legal fees

Regarding a montreal bench ,many will know there are already a few benches in the parc du portugal . Though Leonard's montreal house is there ,there is no reference at all to Leonard , but - rightly - a lot about the Portuguese immigrant community that the park was built for . Any of us might choose to go and sit on one of the benches as part of a trip to montreal , and privately have Leonard in mind. I have , and for reasons i don't fully ( and dont need to)understand , it's quite special to sit on a bench that i know Leonard himself has sat on !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

it could be time to take to the streets when we all arrive on the island.........ta ken
banc.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: [with no disrespect to Charlie]
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”