Eat, Pay, Love Hydra

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
Goldin

Eat, Pay, Love Hydra

Post by Goldin »

I have some questions and hope the veterans of the Hydriot movement will fill me in:

- where do you usually have a dinner and so on?
- how much is the fish (and other dishes)?
- cash? Visa? MasterCard?

I'm looking through the pages of http://www.hydra.com.gr/?lang=en, but it's not that easy to find all the required information.
That's why, although I prefer doing such investigations on my own, this time I'm asking you.

The other reason - it may be interesting and pleasant for you to recall and share some details: photos of Mythos are reappearing in my facebook newsfeed...
lizzytysh

Re: Eat, Pay, Love Hydra

Post by lizzytysh »

Mythos is the way to go with local beer, Roman :) 8)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi Roman,

There are a lot of restaurants in every price - range.
Mostly you pay cash, in some places they accept also credit carts.
In the habor are 3 ATM machines.
A pint of Mythos cost you between 3 and 4 Euro.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Hi, Roman,
Often we eat in a group, ordering many dishes in a taverna and passing them around, family style. That is usually quite economical and very delicious! In the tavernas, menus are really for show. Many things listed are not available and many things not listed are available. It is best to ask what is available. My favourite taverna for dinner is Cristina and Manolis., which is near the famous Dousko's. Dousko's is excellent for nostalgic atmosphere, but the food isn't as good. For breakfast, I alternate between GoGo's for Georgia's delicious Greek-style scrambled eggs with feta, and Cafe Roloi for waffles with yogurt, honey and walnuts. For lunch, there is a fabulous little taverna near Mandraki beach, or a little souvlaki place in the port. My favourite souvlaki and ice-cream takeout, Achilleas, has unfortunately closed..
As for fish: it is priced by the kilo, according to market, and can sometimes be quite expensive . My favourite is the"little fishes", which are economical and delicious.
As to beer: many of us are quite attached to Mythos, which is a Greek beer that made quite a splash when it was first produced a few years ago. Then, I heard, there were some bad years where something went wrong with it and the Greeks turned away. Most Greeks drink Alpha beer or imported beer. I, among others, am attached to Mythos because of the romantic name.

Hope this helps!
Anne
newfoundland--understand?
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7htn7js0it046 ... i.mp4?dl=0

Here is a manifestation of my longing for Hydra, intensifying as the days of waiting diminish slowly. The song is "At Your Doorstep Again", performed by the Greek-Newfoundland group, The Forgotten Bouzouki, led by George Minimis. The images include my own photographs and monotypes, as well as some "borrowed" from Internet sources. The watercolours at the beginning are by my friend, the Kamini painter Michael Lawrence
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Hi Friends, thanks a lot!

Anne, such a heartful manifestation, thanks for sharing! Love it.

Well, actually I was asking about Mythos just to hook anybody on this theme - but now it's on my checklist!

So many details, now I'm closer to understanding the spirit of the Hydra meetup, can't wait to feel it on my own!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I'd like to add two excellent restaurants in Kamini: Kodylenia's (facing the see) and Pirofani (some hundred meters to inland from the fishing harbour).
We have had an excellent dinner at Kodylenia's at all meetups, but Pirofani is too small for a big group - but it's one of my favorites, so have a meal there if you're in the area.
There is also delicious Greek food at the restaurant in Vlichos, close to the beach! - Many restaurants like to take you to the kitchen to show you today's choices!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

I have been eating, dreaming and breathing Hydra for the past few weeks, and reading/ rereading some fabulous books to help reawaken that special Hydra kefi. I thought I would share some titles with you all:

First and foremost, there is Stephanie Zia's " The Widow's To-Do List", formerly known as " Ten Good Reasons to Lie About Your Age". Stephanie will be joining us in Hydra this year!

Next, the amazing Greek Village Series by Sara Alexi, who lives in Napflio, just across the Saronic from Hydra. I am making my way through the linked novels , and discovered that at least two, "Black Butterflies" and " The Art of Becoming Homeless" are set on Hydra. I learned from Sara that "Black Butterflies" will be available in the little Hydra bookshop this year.

Some others:
Henry Miller's "The Colossus of Maroussi" with its jewelled prose

Roger Green's quirky classic "Hydra and the Bananas of Leonard Cohen"

Charmian Clift's memoirs "Mermaid Singing" and "Peel Me a Lemon"

Brenda Chamberlina's memoir "A Rope of Vines".
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks for the updates, Jarkko and Anne.
Hope to find some of these titles in a bookstore on the island.

While I have no books about Hydra, I've prepared a list of movies - but definitely don't have enough time to watch them all.

Actually, I got another question. What about mobile Internet on Hydra (and in Athens)?
There should be wi-fi in a hotel, but I'm interesting in 3G/public wi-fi. Have found several threads, e.g. http://www.futuretap.com/blog/traveling ... ta-access/ - do you have anything to add?
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Goldin, most of the restaurants and bars on Hydra have free wifi.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks for a fast and encouraging answer, Wybe!
harald

Post by harald »

Unfortunately as of now a bankruptcy of Greece can not be excluded during our stay.
In that case probably no teller machine and no bank could deliver money for some time.
People might want to take more cash with them (keeping in mind the hazards of travelling with cash).
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

harald you are spot on..i was in touch with somebody on the greek island of schinoussa yesterday and despite somebody reporting here on the forum that there is a pharmacist strike that is not true...the pharmacists had a strike last year...

..however as a precaution i was advised to take as much cash out with me as i could because if there is a problem over the next few days most probably the ATMs could be switched off to prevent a run on the banks.....that's what has happened in the past ....and if the situation worsens paying by debit or credit card could also be a problem as most shop and restaurant owners will want hard cash.....this of course is a worse case senario...but it's worth keeping in mind.....

crunch day seems to be this friday..from the bbc website..

This could be a crucial week for Greece.
You've probably read that sentence somewhere every week since the end of January.
And yet it still holds true. Because this really could be a crucial week for Greece, as the money continues to run out and further payments to the International Monetary Fund loom large. The next one - €300m; £215m - is due on Friday.
Furthermore, at the end of this month, Greece's current disputed bailout agreement with its international creditors expires.
And without some kind of deal, there won't be another one.

ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

This is a crucial week indeed and that's how things are, Ken. Ready for everything now.

Sophia
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Any chance to try Red Needle with fellow Cohenites?

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”