Book your accommodation as early as possible

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have got emails from people who will be coming to Hydra next June. They have told that some hotels are already fully booked, and some have only limited number of rooms left.

I checked several websites and looks like this really is the case. I don't know why - is there a big congress on the island? It's also possible that the hotel agents have only some rooms reserved in each of the hotels. Or this is so early that some hotels have not confirmed next year's prices and agent quotas. Therefore it's best to check the website of the hotel, too; all hotels take also direct reservations (this way they don't need to pay commissions!)

To make sure you have accommodation of your choice, reserve as early as possible! In most cases the cancellation is free until May, so there is no risk.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Book your accommodation as early as possible

Post by jarkko »

Judy phoned directly to her favorite hotel. Probably this explains why some hotels are already "fully booked".
He replied that the site said it was fully booked because he hadn't updated it for 2015 yet!
He said to email him and he would send me the information re rates and availability.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I was just going to suggest that Jarkko. I remember there was a similar problem when I was trying to book for 2011.

Wendy
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Wow, you're right. I just went onto booking.com and about 80% of hotels listed on Hydra were fully booked over that weekend! So I booked a room. As Jarkko says, cancellation is free until May, so no risk.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

I don't think there will be a problem. My usual hotel is showing up as "fully booked" on booking.com and as "unavailable" on the hotel website but I emailed directly and received a reply confirming my room 2 minutes later. So, I think we may be trying to book too early...
newfoundland--understand?
margaret

Post by margaret »

There are also no Easyjet flights available to book yet beyond the end of May.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Not only should you not take seriously a claim that a hotel is fully booked in June, but do not be panicked by the claim "only two rooms left" or similar. In May I needed to book a room at one pension for a family arriving in August and the website claimed there were only two rooms left. When I visited them personally, the wife showed me the booking chart for August: more than half the rooms were still available.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

2015 seems a good year for my first visit to Hydra!
Any suggestions re accommodation ? (positive and negative )
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
biapereira

Post by biapereira »

I'm very happy that I'll be in Hydra. I leave in Brazil and It'll be my first time in Greece. Any news about the one day excursion on the Peloponnese. Would we have to book it before or will decide there?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We will take reservations and also the payment later in the Spring, because we have to make the final reservations pretty early. More info will be available in March. The excursion will be either on Thursday or Friday (or both, if the group is still growing)
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Er... I didn't book my accommodation yet. Late, I know, but I didn't think it would be a problem to leave it late. I posted on the Hotels in Hydra thread earlier today, asking if anyone has any ideas. Maybe no-one has seen it yet. Have tried a few places with no luck so far.

I would really prefer a room with shower and a couple of cooking rings, somewhere in the port area, but would be ok with Kamini too. Any ideas welcome, please (I arrive 10 June for a week.)
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Sue,
I sent you a private message.
Anne
Last edited by anneporter on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
newfoundland--understand?
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Sue, variants still available (for June 10-16) are listed here.
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Message for Goldin..
Thank you so much for the list of Hydra accommodation places still available. I have booked Amaryllis.

See you on Hydra next week!

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”