Hydra Thanks

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
Janie

Hydra Thanks

Post by Janie »

Many thanks Jarkko for organising such a wonderful time in Hydra, we enjoyed every minute of it, the trip to Epidaurus, the meals, walks and open air cinema and of course the company of fellow forum members.

It was our first time on Hydra and we are already looking forward to our return.

Best wishes

Jane, Boo and Sarah
joyezekiel

Re: Hydra Thanks

Post by joyezekiel »

Mark and I would like to add our thanks..... it was wonderful to meet old friends, and to make some new ones too! And Hydra was idyllic.....

Thank you, Jarkko (again!) for organizing everything.

Joy and Mark
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Eija and I very much loved our week on Hydra. After a very busy winter and spring it was so good to take it easy in very good company. This year we had almost 80 participants at the gathering, including quite many first-timers who lost their hearts to the island. The weather was splendind (as always).

Somebody had written here that the prices are now higher than they used to be. We did not notice that, on the contrary. The accommodation prices were cheaper than two years ago, and the price level at the restaurants was the same as it used to be.

This time we had something new to offer: on Friday we made an one day boat/bus excursion to the mainland to see the ancient Epidaurus Theater, the City of Nafplion and the archeological site Acropolis of Mycenae. Definitely a trip that will be repeated next time.

Our trip to Epidaurus was organized by Lakis Cristiadis and his wife Nicolette, very nice couple who have a gold/clothing shop next to Alpha bank. Lakis is also taking care of the Hydra Cine Club and other activities on the island. He will definitely help us with any organizing we will need in the future. Maybe we will do another big Event on the island at some point!

On Saturday we screened the Dublin concert (September 2012) at the Hydra Cine Club to almost 100 guests (some locals were invited to join us). Another great experience to enjoy three hours of superb performances under the stars with good friends! Special thanks to Leonard and his producer Ed Sanders for making this possible.

On Sunday many first-timers (and some old) made our traditional Walk up to the Monastery of Eliah. Eija and I have been there five times so now we walked to the Monastery of Nicholaus instead. It was a 12 km walk (2 x 6 km). We used the route via Mandraki, the road is easy to walk but barren. The monastery was beautiful with excellent location - on the top of a hill, with great views to both sides on the island.

We had dinners in Pirofani, Kodylenia's, Kristina Manolis, and the Sunday farewell dinner at Sunset.

Our group had VERY long nights at Roloi, full of music and singalong. The last left after 6 am. Our old host Nikolas was there with us every night; the bar is nowadays ran by his son Yannis and daughter Nota.

Eija is working on her photos, and a selection of the best ones will be posted at some point.

Thanks to all participants!
Hope to see many of you on Hydra again in 2015!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh my gosh, Jarkko!

What a delicious report! What the future holds for all of us there is clearly sublime. It just keeps getting better and better. Did Henning do his mini concert in the Theater on the mainland, as promised?
So hope I'll be able to be there next time.
Thanks from me for all the past times and any in the future.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”