The Hydra Meetup 2013

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

The Hydra Meetup 2013

Post by jarkko »

Time to discuss next year's meetup on Hydra. Since the Leonard Cohen Event on the island in 2002, we have had a meetup there in 2005, 2007, 2009, and 2011. I'd like to suggest that we continue with this tradition and meet again in June 2013.
Usually the meetup has been scheduled to the second weekend of June. This would mean June 8-9, 2013 (plus extra days before/after).

Information about the previous gatherings and photo links at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/backtohydra.html

Please note that this will not be any "official" gathering, just a meetup for people who want to spend some time on the beautiful island with like-minded Cohenites. This will mean that we do not have much pre-scheduled program nor registration. (Well, we try to rent the open air cinema again, to watch some concert footage "under the stars", and perhaps many will climb to the monastery, too...)

We will give some advice about the connections from Athens/Piraeus to Hydra and some addresses for booking your accommodation, but all arrangements are up to the participants themselves!

The question is: anybody willing to come again, and is the timing ok??
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
regensburg

The Hydra Meetup 2013

Post by regensburg »

I am willing to come to Hydra for the first time. Timing sounds good to me. Looking for more info in the future.
anneporter

The Hydra Meetup 2013

Post by anneporter »

Excellent!
newfoundland--understand?
anneporter

The Hydra Meetup 2013

Post by anneporter »

I am planning to be there, probably with some friends. Those dates seem fine to me....
newfoundland--understand?
Stamatina

Re: The Hydra Meetup 2013

Post by Stamatina »

There is no way I will be done with my exams by the 8th and next year's exams are really important and I can't just take it easy and skip studying. But I will do my best to come even for just one day...
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sounds great Jarkko
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

I think I will be able to attent to my first Hydra meeting. Go for Hydra 2013!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Francy

Post by Francy »

Sounds great!!! :D
You can count on us Jarkko, we would not miss it for anything!!
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Is it possible to set the dates a little later in June so Stamatina can come? I really look forward to her company and we can also enjoy her youthful spirit....
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

anneporter wrote:Is it possible to set the dates a little later in June so Stamatina can come? I really look forward to her company and we can also enjoy her youthful spirit....
Anne, you are so sweet. :) But if the current date is convenient for everyone, don't change it just for me..
Gentle this soul..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm in favour of moving it further out in June, too, so to allow for Stamatina to be there for more than one day. Hoping I can attend, too, but not sure right now.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I'd love to see Stamatina there, too, but unfortunately it is not possible to find a weekend that would be ideal for everybody. This was very obvious when we tried to find the best timing for the first Hydra meet up. We learned that this weekend is the best for most members - there are other members who wouldn't be able to make it to Hydra if we met earlier or later.

I hope Stamatina will be able to take a day or two off from her studies. She lives in Athens, so it would be quite easy to make a short visit to Hydra. We will try to rent the open air cinema for Saturday evening for some video screening.

The second weekend in June is our traditional timing also because it is just before the tourist season with higher prices opens. In early June the hotels have low-season prices and plenty of room. And the weather is already nice and warm, not so hot as later in the Summer.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yeah, good reasoning, Jarkko.
:(
Please study extra hard, Stamatina, so when that time arrives, you can come over for at least one day... or night, if necessary.
~ Oscar Wilde
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

lizzytysh wrote:Yeah, good reasoning, Jarkko.
:(
Please study extra hard, Stamatina, so when that time arrives, you can come over for at least one day... or night, if necessary.
Don't worry, Lizzy, there's always a way, I'll find it.. :)
Gentle this soul..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ah... that's the response I wanted to see, Stam.
Now, if I do go, I'll try to arrange to at least meet up with you in Athens before I go over to the island... maybe for dinner or something. Even if you're over your head in studying, you've still gotta eat.
Not going to come that far and take a chance on NOT meeting you :shock: :) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”